Sunday, July 26, 2009

Research News of the Week

Here are some things I am following this week.
There is new research that male cyclers (women were not part of the study) have lower bone density in their spine than non-cyclers. This is disheartening to cyclists and all exercisers. The question remains: were the men in any other activities? I think it would make sense that men who do not do any weight-bearing exercise and are in a compromised posture for their exercise would have lower bone density. But a man who balances cycling and weight lifting, it seems, would be ok. I would be curious to see if any of these men had a balanced active lifestyle.
Sminny jeans made news this week because they can cause problems with circulation in the legs. Ladies and Gentlemen, if you are cutting off the circulation in your legs with any type of clothing, then change your clothing! I think it's pretty obvious that if you are going numb in your leg or turning colors that you need to loosen up a little. It would be the same if your bike shorts are too tight. Definitely don't wear too-tight-clothes all day, and keep an eye on your legs' comfort level. I think that goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway.
Finally, ACE reports that exercise reduces migraines in sufferers. Great news, as migraines are so debilitating. I am sure the increase in blood flow is the reason.

No comments: